Refreshing summer dessert at Beechwood Inn
Little Lemon Cakes with Soft Cream
- Melted butter as needed, for brushing
- Granulated sugar as needed, for dusting
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup lemon juice, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream, for topping
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, for topping
- Raspberries or blackberries for garnish
Brush 8 ramekins, 5 ounces each, with butter. Dust the inside of each of the ramekins with granulated sugar and tap out the excess. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Cream the butter and the 6 tablespoons granulated sugar until light in color and texture, 1-2 minutes. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon zest and flour. Add the milk and lemon juice and mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the remaining ¾ cup sugar. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Fold into the lemon mixture.
Evenly divide the mixture among the prepared ramekins. Place the ramekins in a large baking pan and pour in boiling water to reach 1-inch up the sides. Bake until set, light brown, and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 minutes. Cool completely.
Whip the cream to soft peaks and add 1 tablespoon of the confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla. To serve, unmold the individual cakes onto dessert plates. Top with the cream and dust with the remaining confectioners’ sugar. Garnish with raspberries and/or blackberries and serve immediately.
Recipe from Joanne Weir